ResMed CPAP Mask With Magnets: Safe Use Update
On November 20, 2023, ResMed issued an urgent field safety notice to patients regarding the use of certain ResMed CPAP masks with magnetic headgear clips. The magnets, located in the mask's frame and lower headgear clips, have a magnetic field strength of up to 400mT.
In this update, ResMed stated that masks with magnetic elements must be kept at least 6 inches (150 mm) away from any implants or medical devices that could be negatively impacted by magnetic fields. This precaution applies to both the mask wearer and anyone in close contact with them.
The affected implants or medical devices include:
- Active medical devices that are affected by magnets, such as pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD), neurostimulators, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) shunts, or insulin/infusion pumps.
- Any metallic implants or objects made of ferromagnetic materials. This includes, but is not limited to, aneurysm clips or flow disruption devices, embolic coils, stents, valves, electrodes, hearing or balance restoring implants with embedded magnets, eye implants, and metallic fragments in the eye.
What ResMed Masks Are Affected?
Full Face Mask:
- AirFit F20, AirFit F20 for Her
- AirTouch F20, AirTouch F20 for Her
- AirFit F30
- AirFit F30i
- AirFit N10, AirFit N10 for Her
- AirFit N20, AirFit N20 for Her
- AirTouch N20, AirTouch N20 for Her
Non Vented Mask:
- AirFit F20 NV (not sold by RespShop)
What Should I Do if I Have an Affected Mask?
Replace your CPAP mask with one without magnets. Please contact your provider for alternative mask options.